Saturday, January 14, 2012

Only two more blocks to hand quilt!



This is the quilt top in full view.  I have all but the bottom two outside squares and the border completed!


The center says:  "Suzanne Lindsay 1982, quilting by Stephanie Hughes 2010".  I will have to put a block on the back with the actual date I finished it since I decided to hand quilt it.  Mom did the embroidery before giving it me late 2010 and passing away summer of 2011. 





I have been working on this quilt since March 2011, spending a few hours a week hand quilting it.  Only two blocks and the borders are left to quilt!  I can't wait to finish.  I am please with how my hand quilting turned out.  Mom would  be proud.  For those of you who don't follow me, these blocks were my mom's that she made in 1982, this is how she learned applique.  She never did anything with it but saved them and put them away with all the fabric she used to make it.  In 2010, mom showed them to me and I told her I would quilt it if I got to keep it!  She agreed.  She then embroidered the center and gave it me.   She passed away last summer after giving it to me and I am determined to get it done and cherish it for the rest of my life!  Every moment I spend quilting it reminds me of my mom!  Love you Mom!  

8 comments:

Gene Black said...

Looking good. Keep it up, you are doing great.

Loris said...

Beautiful! What a sweet way to be able to celebrate your mom.
Love the shellfish...Maryland crabs? I think that is my favorite block :-)

Pat said...

Steph....it is turning out SO nice. Your hand-quilting is wonderful! Soon you will have it finished. I know Mom is smiling down at you!!!

Frog Quilter said...

WOW. Beautiful. How wonderful to have and finish something your mother started. Your hand quilting is fabulous....

KaHolly said...

I applaud you! It's absolutely beautiful. And so nice to see some hand-quilting for a change of pace! You bet your mom would be proud! ~karen

Pokey said...

Your stitches are so pretty and sew many! It will be a wonderful heirloom of memories, and happy times with your Momma. I'm glad you have the gift of how to finish it, not everyone could. Beautiful ~
:-}pokey

Caron Mosey - Michigan Quilts! said...

You do beautiful work! I followed your comment on LinkedIn to your blog... glad I dropped by!

marina said...

your hand quilting is amazing! I think you should be very proud of yourself and of course your mum would be too. Great job

Related Posts with Thumbnails