My new fabric storage solution.
(Not available at all locations.)
29.5 inches wide by 90 inches tall.
UPDATE: since this post, I have grown my stash to three!
I decided to get the shorter ones so I could reach the top easier.
I filled the right side with a smaller plastic storage bin,
here I store all my interfacings and pellons!
They have three different widths of cabinets and two different heights. I picked the 29.5 inches width but they go up to 39.5 inches wide. Doors are an option if you put two together. I opted to not put doors on to increase my ease of access. There are also lights you can install and the attach to the wall for safety.
I have been very busy and sorry for not posting much lately! What have I been doing? I have been working on a new storage solution for my quilting fabric! I decided to store my quilting fabric on small boards. My boards are handmade by me by cutting white foam core board into 5 inches by 7.5 inches rectanges and pinning fabric onto the board. I put anywhere from one to three different fabrics on each board depending on how much yardage there is for each. I can put 4 fat quarters on one board or 3 yards of one fabric by itself.
When searching on the web, I saw many quilters putting their fabric on store bought boards but that was too expensive for me. They are available in cases of 10 sheets. I was able to buy 40 sheets of white foam board (link here) directly from a supplier with free shipping (by using a code I found by doing a coupon search $10 off $100 purchase got me free shipping) for only $116. After cutting the boards, that is 640 rectangles for $116! In my opinion, it's better than the foam core board you buy in the craft store because they have a heavier paper covering, making them more difficult to cut. I discovered this because the first sheets I bought in the craft store were difficult to cut because of the paper on them plus 2 sheets for $9.99 (640 sheets for $320) was too expensive, I might have just bought one made by the vendors at the quilt shows. I did an online search for a discount price and found these in bulk. I was pleasantly surprised they were much easier to cut!
This system worked for me because I could fit three rows of boards in these bing from IKEA. Many bloggers show their fabric on boards like this but they display them on shelves. I didn't want to expose my fabric to the dust and sunlight that most have to deal with when placing their fabric on shelves out in the open in their sewing room. I wanted a more protected, yet easy access storage solution and this is what I came up with after much searching!
I love how the drawers can be completely removed to allow me a great view of my entire collection. I can see all the fabric at once. In my past fabric storage drawers, the back part of the bin could not be visualized easily. My folded stash always sat ontop of each other making it difficult to see my stash. This way I see it all!!!!
The lid sits on top and it is easy to lift off to enter.
No locking mechanism on these lids.
This drawer has over 70 fat quarters and some yardage stored in it! There are 10 drawers, so that's 700 fat quarters plus!
Below is just a small taste of the fabric I inherited from my mom when she passed away in July. I had to make 5 trips in my car! Thus, I had to come up with a way to store all this stuff and give away stuff I just couldn't imagine using.
HOW DID I DO IT?
Here are the supplies I used...
1. Cutting mat (I double layered mine to not hurt my table)
2. X-acto knife 2.0
3. Applique pins (so far I have used 6 boxes of 350 pins)
4. white foam boards measuring 20 inches by 30 inches
(link here) cut into 5" x 7.5" rectangles. EACH white foam board I cut into 16 rectangles.
See above information about the boards.
6. Storage unit (mine is IKEA's PAX system)
Lots of ironing and folding the fabric onto the boards and then pinning. I ironed them to fit onto the board. Here I have 3 different fabrics on this board which saves space in my drawers. I put similar colors on them and made sure I could see each one. They overlap each other.
You needs lots of pins!
I have used 6 (350 in each) containers of applique pins!
Pinning the fabric with small applique pins works great! I pin at an angle directly through the fabric end into the board. Use a thimble to save your fingers! You need to stab the pins into the board making sure the pins are at an angle and don't go through to the other side. I sometimes have to redo them until I got the pins just right.
I just LOVE how I can keep a lid on top to keep the dust out! One is not enough, so off to the store next week to buy a second entire unit. I hope to decorate my room next so keep posted for more pictures once I get my space looking good!
I moved around all my furniture to make it fit. My design wall is now behind my sewing machine. In the top of the drawer I put things I don't use as often, interfacings and pellons. I have a step stool nearby. The IKEA PAX system with let you put many different types of drawers in them. I chose the plastic bins but they metal drawers, wood drawers, shoe racks and much more. This is just my system I designed. You can go to their website listed above and design it they way you want it. Thanks IKEA! Love my storage unit.
On, and Kevin's new truck...I am so happy to finally have something to haul stuff in if I need it!
Happy Holidays to all! Enjoy the season!!