Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Mom's stash, tears of joy...

Found some wonder surprises while going through my mom's sewing stash.  Looks like she was planning on making me a new purse with this above flower.  I had asked her for a dark purse for fall.  She passed away in July and I am just now going through her room full for stuff.  This is only half of it!  Her sewing machine, supplies and fabric stash is next to amazing!  I am so excited because whenever I make something with any of these fabrics, I will think of her.  I think she has enough stuff here for me to never stop making things or thinking of her. She had tins and jars of buttons, monopoly peices, remote control insides, fabric, lining, interfacing, batting, ribbon, tons of embellishments and much, much more.  I couldn't help but tear up when going through this gold mine!  Everytime I see her stuff I think about how advanced and talented she was for her time.  She was 70 years when she passed and I can't help but think how lucky I am that she passed on this talent to me. My sister and brother had no desire for any of this stuff.  Amy, my sister only asked for me to provide her a simple sewing kit with needle and thread and everything else she knows she just ask me and I would do it for her!  I am BLESSED!!!!

Interesting needle work on top of fabric.
Thinking of possiblities for all of this! 



She was maticulous at her storage and kept things prestine!

I had to fill suitcases and laundry baskets to haul this home.  This is only the half of it!  I still have another trip to make!


I am so glad I kissed her a lot! 

She was always sewing, even in the hospital! 
Love you mom! 

12 comments:

Denise :) said...

What fun, happy memories going through her sewing treasures must bring you. I'm glad it's making you smile! :)

Barb said...

Oh...I know how much you must miss your mom but what fond memories in each scrap and item....

Loris said...

What a sweet mom! I'm glad you kissed her alot too!

Lesly said...

That is wonderful. I know just how you feel. Sewing with my mom's stash and using her tools makes me feel close to her every time. I am very happy for you to have found something to bring you joy in her memory.

elsie123 said...

What a treasure, I know you'll enjoy and appreciate it. When my Mom died, I got her sewing basket and my daughter got her sewing machine. It was fun to find a few old pictures in there along with notions and a block or two. Enjoy the memories you'll come across.

Happy Cottage Quilter said...

What very sweet treasures. I know she would be happy to know that you will be using her stash.

Pat said...

I'm glad I got a chance to meet your mom. I'm sure you will make her proud with all the things you will do with her saved treasures, too.

BJ is Quilting! said...

A common "thread" to keep you connected..wonderful! Your mom was a real beauty in her younger days!

Gene Black said...

Even though I never met your mom, I know she was a delight.
I always make sure to kiss my mom every time I see her. But thanks for the reminder.

Pokey said...

Hi, Stephanie, It's good to hear from you. What a wonderful heritage of sewing that has been passed on to you from your lovely Momma. I think of those Dear Jane blocks she did for you, I know you would never change them now!
It really is a blessing to receive her things that she had dreams for, and that you now can turn into great memories of her. Let the tears come, we miss our Momma like no other soul we cross in this life. I hope the days will pass in peace for you, dear ~
:-}pokey

Deb said...

What joy, I know your Mom will live on through your hands and what more can we ask of life, then to be remembered.
I lost my Dad in May and know that pain and also the joy of a life well-lived. Hugs

Chris said...

What a treasure trove! I have some of my grandmother's things, and sometimes get choked up over a scrap of royal blue wool used to store needles. She had made matching blue jumpers for my sister and I. So happy you too have such wonderful memories!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails