Thursday, March 31, 2011

Quilting Retreat

Quilting retreat finish, 1982 reborn, see below

Me at quilting retreat

Lisa from 9PATCHNURSE

Lisa from 9patchnurse is the one who invited me to her quilting retreat.  Lisa found my blog by visiting Julie's blog where she has a sidebar listing of other quilting nurses.  Lisa found my name and looked at my blog and realized we both work at Hopkins.  She contacted me, we met and became quick friends. 

My work space

Close up of my work space

Look at portable table by SewEZ.  It fits my Bernina just perfectly.  They have templates to fit most sewing machines.  The table is portable, folds up and has a cover.  I pulled it around on the wheels.  Love this table!  I also made a portable ironing board.  I padded a peice of thick wood with an ironing board cover and then I bought a TV stand for $8.50 at Walmart and used some puddy to temporarily adhere it to the stand to keep it in place during the ironing process. 

Margaret my new friend

Margaret uses a Singer Featherweight sewing machine!  She loves it.  She let me use it and it was amazing.  I also enjoyed her hand quilting techniques.  She showed me her way and I was amazed.  She told me about her childhood and how she started out quilting.  Now she cooks breakfast once a week for the local VFW and she gets together with quilting friends every Thursday night to work on quilts.  They take turns quilting on a hoop until the quilt is done by the group and then they move on to another quilt.  I just loved meeting her!  She is such a dear. 

Diane and her yellow and blue quilt

Apparently Diane has brought this quilt to the last 5 retreats.  They were teasing her because they told her they didn't want to see this quilt at anymore retreats and she HAD TO FINISH IT or else!  She got it peiced with the help of Ethel, a wonderful older lady who was absolutely hysterical.  I just loved her personality! 

Ethel, made me laugh all weekend!

Here is one of the quilt tops I finished at retreat.

1982 Sampler made by my MOM

These squares were made by my MOM in 1982 and placed in a bag and never finished.  All were hand done in a sampler class she took to learn how to applique.  Found by me almost 30 years later with the fabric she had saved that was extra, I pieced it together this weekend!  I had her put her name and my name as the quilter in the center square.  I just love this.  Now to find a backing and start quilting.  This one is going to be hand quilted so it will take a while to complete!  To see a closer look of the blocks before I pieced them go here to my earlier post. 

DEAR JANE BLOCKS
these I have pieced together

I also worked on my Dear Jane quilt.  I finished all 64 squares.  I am doing a mini Dear Jane for a wall hanging.  I only pieced 5 rows so far with sashing but I have all 64 squares completed.  I decided to re-work the triangles smaller so they looked proportional to the quilt.  I can't wait to show you them. 

all 64 DEAR JANE squares

Mom update, she was moved to a rehab center today for PT and then hopefully by next week she will be home with us.  We miss her.  I enjoy working on the quilts she made.  I told there was one condition on finishing her quilt sampler....that I get to keep it!  She agreed!  Yippie!!!

6 comments:

Joanne Lendaro said...

Great pics!! Looks like you had a blast! Mom's quilt is fabulous, glad you made lots of new friends!

Gene Black said...

Thanks for taking us on your retreat. I have always wanted to try a Singer Featherweight machine.

Barb said...

What fun!!!! Enjoyed the pictures and seeing your new friends...

Pat said...

I recall when you found those sampler blocks.....they are terrific and look really nice in the top the way you arranged them. Sounds like the retreat was a real success!!! I'm glad as you've had a rough patch lately and it was nice that you knew your mom was doing well and you could go and enjoy some sewing time.

KaHolly said...

Love that you completed your mom's beautiful UFO!! I'll bet she thought that was pretty special. Obviously this quilt retreat was BYO-Project! Looks like a lot of fun! ~karen

Dee said...

Steph, you made me cry! I'm so happy to hear your mom is doing so well! What a blessing.

Thanks for sharing the retreat and the ladies with us! Very inspiring and encouraging!

Great post!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails