A Raw Edge Quilt Finish


A finish!  This raw edge quilt has been a fun project.  I was able to include many of my favorite fabrics from old quilts, remnants, home projects and collectible items.  I used white linen for the top peice in which I added all the cut fabric.  I used a glue stick to lay them out and the sewing was done by machine to secure them onto the top.  Then the fun started.  I used embroidery, beads, buttons and anything interesting to add depth to the front. 

Since mom moved in a few weeks ago, she has been kind enough to quilt it and do the binding.  I just love the finished product.  We used an old nightgown of hers as the back.  Take a look at this adorable nightgown below that we used.  I cut it up and then saved the bodice and sleeves to use in another project. 

 Mom's old nightgown cut up for the backing.
It is made of the softest cotton ever!

pocket for hanging placed on top

Turned out well. Now where to put it.

Hope everyone is having a great December, holiday month!




Comments

Dee said…
Ok, feeling really sappy today! Your post made me smile and then cry at the blessing you share with your mom in your love of quilting.

A priceless heirloom will hang in your home!
Love your quilt. I've done one block. It is so nice to see how a full quilt will look. Love it.
Anna said…
love how you did the corners! I want to try a project like this soon :-)
free indeed said…
Great job! the embellishment adds to the total appeal of the piece..I wouldn't be so patient to do that...I'd want it done done and done now! :) I too am jealous of your quilting bond with your mom...:)
Happy Holidays!
fabricartist21 said…
What a masterpiece I love it thanks for sharing your pictures on facebook.
Carol said…
Looks great. I'll have to try that style sometime.
Cheryll said…
It does look like a FuN project.... with all the memories! Well done! :)
Merry CHristmas.
Angela said…
What a treasure, Stephanie! And great to have something that you and your mom worked on together!
I really like this quilt! It is so pretty. So interesting to see all the different fabrics and shapes.
Kim said…
I really enjoyed seeing this creative quilt! Nice that you and your mom were able to collaborate on this one. A very special quilt. Love it!!
Shasta said…
What a fun, happy, beautiful quilt. I've been collecting fabric for a quilt like this! Adding personal embellishments and hand quilting it are both superb ideas. And the corners too!
Aww you finished! Good for you.
marina said…
what a great finish for you and your mum! It looks really great. It would be great to just to look at all the different fabrics.
Your thanksgiving pics are lovely. What a great get together.
Barb said…
That is soooooooooooooooooo adorable....
Vesuviusmama said…
What a gem! And if mom is looking for somewhere else to stay after the holidays, I have some quilting and binding she can do...
Suzanne said…
Love this! My favorite.

Popular Posts