Thursday, September 9, 2010

What's on my design wall?

I am so excited about my new design wall!
Here are two quilts I am working on now~
On the left is a sampler from my mom
On the right is a snowball quilt from Kaffe Fassett's class 

I decided to put up two quilts that I have been procrastinating to piece together, UFO's.  On the left is the squares my mom Suzanne made in 1982 (she originally told me 1987 but corrected the timeline) at a sampler class.  She never finished it and recently I found them when we were cleaning her sewing room and she gave them to me to quilt.  I told her I would quilt it and piece it for her.  When she gave them to me the beautiful center square did not have anything on the inside and I thought it would look better with her name etc on the inside. 

This is the before picture of the center square: 

and here it is now after she signed it:
I love how she added the part about me doing the quilting for her!

to see the other squares up close click here for the original post

I picked out my fabric for the sashing for this sampler quilt.  It is fabric she found in her stash from the time period of 1980's.   I am going to use the floral as my sashing, the pink for the corner stones and the aqua for the binding.

On the right of my design wall is my snowball quilt that I started in April and never finished.  It is the quilt I started in Paducah at the AQS in a class I took with Kaffe Fassett.  If you want to see pictures of my class with him click here.

Today mom came over for a full sewing day.  We were going to sew all day but my mom had something my Aunt wanted so we decided to meet Grier halfway and have lunch with her.  Mom had repaired a lamp shade that my Aunt Grier found in the neighbor's trash.   It was a gorgeous wrought iron floor lamp and the shade was the only thing wrong with it.  It was going to be difficult to replace this shade because it is an unusual mechanics.  The shade needed repairing, priming and then covered.  We met at one of our favorite stores....Home Goods.  Here is a picture of Grier holding the lamp shade my mom repaired for her...

Aunt Grier and her newly covered lamp shade

 
Auny Grier and my mom Suzanne

Sorry about the picture by the waitress.

I am happy to announce that I am having a giveaway that starts tomorrow night and will run through September 17th......my ONE YEAR BLOGGER ANNIVERARY !!!  So check back tomorrow and see what I made just for the giveaway. 


7 comments:

Helen said...

Hi Steph! Design Walls are great, aren't they!!??!! Somehow, when you see those blocks glaring at you every time you walk into the room, you are so motivated to "finish" the quilt top!!

How exciting - another One year blogiversary!!! Can't wait to see your give-a-way prize!!

Happy Sewing!

Barb said...

I just love what is on your design wall....and the way you finished up the center of that one block, just added the right touch.

Jackie said...

Love the design walls! They are great to have for sure, so you can always step back and see what your quilt looks like. I don't know how I missed that first post about your class with Kaffe!! I knew you were going, I must have been on vacation when this post happened. I so envy you and your quilt is looking fantastic. Now you just need to finish it up!

quiltingnana said...

you are certainly making good use of the design wall...your shopping pics were fun to see

Dee said...

Steph, what beautiful quilts on your new wall! So glad you had fun on vacation!

Happy Bloggiversary!

Pat said...

Your mom did a wonderful job on the lamp and I can tell your aunt was very pleased with it. Good idea to have your mom add that stuff to the center of the block...it did need soemething there and that is just perfect. Looks like you have great fabrics for the sashing/borders/binding, too.

Micki said...

I love your design wall. I saw a portable one that I may have to get. Your projects are wonderful!
Micki

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails