Another great salad: Som Tum


This salad is one of my favorites at our local Thai Restaurant.  I found a recipe and modified to make it for me.  I put pistachio nuts and hot Thai pepper flakes in it to make it very tasty.


Salad: (makes enough for two)
3 cups or a half a bag of shredded cabbage 
    (I use the cabbage that comes already shredded in a bag, also good with the broccoli slaw)
1 carrot, shredded
1 fresh tomato, chopped 
1/4 cup of roasted peanuts (I use pistachio nuts chopped)

Dressing:  
2 TBSP lime juice
2 TBSP Fish Sauce
1 tsp hot chili pepper flakes (the kind you put on pizza)
1 garlic clove, minced
1 TBSP sugar

Mix the liquids and sugar together and then toss with salad and serve right away.  Do not pour the dressing over it ahead of time.  I make the dressing above and keep it in the fridge and use half of it at a time on a lunch size salad.  

Enjoy!  Steph
  


Comments

Pat said…
Have a safe trip to WVU and back.
Kim D. said…
The salad looks really yummy. But what is fish sauce?? Is that tarter sauce or a red sauce? Inquiry minds want to know. Good luck this week.
Terriaw said…
This salad sounds really good! Easy ingredients to have on hand too. I'm always on the lookout for salad recipes for summer. It can be so hard to replicate good salads from a restaurant.
Stephanie said…
Kim, Fish Sauce is in the same isle in the grocery store as Soy Sauce and rice vinegar. It is an ingredient used in many chinese recipes. You can buy a small bottle.

Popular Posts