SQUIRREL INVASION


It's about 90 degrees here in Baltimore Maryland and we have the windows open.  I couldn't jusify turning on the air conditioner this early in the year so we left open the windows.  Not realizing there would be a squirrel out there interested in the bird seed we had sitting just inside the kitchen screen door.  He chewed into the bottom of the bag and got seed everywhere.  By the looks of the debris, he was there a while before we chased him out of the house.  He ran up the screen and down, up my curtains and onto the kitchen counter.  Ran into my kitchen sink and finally figured out how to get back out the hole he made!  I wonder if I will ever be able to leave it open again, even if I move the seed into those tin cans out of the deck.  We had not done that yet because we were trying to figure out how to put the seed into the can without the squirrels getting into the can.  We had bungee cords on the can to keep them out and they chewed through them to get to the seed.  They are pesky little buggers! 



I have off til Saturday night now, so it's time to do some more sewing.  I have to get ready for PADUCAH so I also have to go the quilt shop and find some fabric for the classes I signed up for.  I will also shop online for some.  Looking forward to my first quilt show visit.  Can't wait. 

Comments

Kim D. said…
Wow, you're really getting some warm temperatures. We're in the 70's here in the southwest, but I don't want to rush those 100's too quickly. They come fast enough for me. Those squirrels can sure can be a nuisance. Oh, it sounds like you're going to have so much fun in Paducah. Don't forget your camera.
Trish said…
We had a squirrel in our house one time too and didn't know it, it chewed all the window sills downstairs trying to get out. They are skilled, pesky little buggers. Have a great time in Paducah!!
Our squirrels are pesky but I don't know if they're THAT brave!
julieQ said…
We have squirrels in our yard, but they have not made it into the house yet! Sorry about all that mess, wow!
Pat said…
Squirrels can be SUCH a nuisance. I'm glad you found him and got him out before he ventured further into the house!!!
Rebecca said…
Wow how cool ( the boys words) although I sure you don't think this. We have nothing like that to worry about here in Aussie and we think its funny and cool that something so little can creat so much trouble. Good luck with the rest of the year and those naughty Squirrels.
Hugs Bec
Barb said…
We actually had squirrels chew through plastic garbage cans...my husband had to go and get metal ones...amazing...
Terriaw said…
Oh my, what a brave and gutsy squirrel! I can't believe the little bugger ended up that far into your house! Ack! Enjoy your days of sewing bliss (and your early spring/summer).
Jackie said…
What a story!! They are pesky aren't they. So glad he found his way out.
Helen said…
I thought the bugs eating my embroidery were bad enough!!!! Hope you can figure out a way to keep the squirrels outside - we are trying to talk our friendly rooftop possums to make their home elsewhere, but so far they seem to prefer our roof! We have 2 or 3 at present, living at each end of the roof, so when they meet in the middle at 2am we all know about it!!!

Perhaps a locked cage would be a safe place for the bag of seed? My BIL breeds birds and I know he keeps his feed in a padlocked cage.
Dee said…
So not a good thing! Sorry about your screen too! Will you be billing the little bugger? LOL

How about a plastic tote? Like a Rubbermaid. That's what we've kept ours in. Or an old cat food, 5 gl bucket.

So wishing you the very best of time on your quilty vacation. You simply must take lots of pictures and let us live vicariously through you!
Leslie said…
this is an impressive invasion...naughty squirrels.
Micki said…
Gee it is hard to imagine 90 degrees when it is so cool here.
Enjoy the nice weather!
Micki
Elizabeth said…
What a stinker! No good thoughts from me on keeping them out though.

Popular Posts