Friday, April 23, 2010

My day with Kaffe Fassett in Paducah


I spent the day with Kaffe Fasset and Liza Prior Lucy for their snowball quilt workshop from his book Simple Shapes Spectacular Quilts.  OMG, it was amazing.  I had such a good time with all these talented ladies.  We were able to learn from the best.  He taught us color ideas and how to choose fabrics that complement other fabrics.  He was so easy to talk to and he helped us pick which fabric would work with our quilt and which ones wouldn't (he made me take out my navy blue pieces).   Liza brought tons of fabric from her internet store and sold a bunch!   Here are some pictures of our great day...


This is my design wall.  Kaffe has us hang a very nappy flannel on the wall so we can "try out" our design.  We would place the fabrics up and then look at them through and magnifying glass.  Then Kaffe would come by to our design wall and make sugguestions. 

In the above photo, I am on the left of my design wall and Mary Ann from Ohio is on the right.  We took yesterday's class together with Lyric Kinard and she stopped by to say hi to me.  We are definately keeping in touch.  This is my first year at the Paducah AQS but this is her 18th year here in a row.   Her husband comes with her and he seems very nice and played golf for the days she was in class.  I think Kevin would love to play golf with him and we are already planning our next year trip.  I have met many people from all around the world. 
Everybody hard at work on their design wall. 


This is mine so far.  We only stuck it up there without pins.  No sewing in the class.  We pinned it up after the class was over and rolled it up on our flannel to take it home and sew it.  What do you think?  He loved it and so do I! 

Kevin and I are done tomorrow.  We catch our flight tomorrow afternoon so only a little more shopping before leaving. 


16 comments:

Allie said...

What a great experience! Your quilt looks lovely. I bet you can't wait to have it finished!

Greg said...

Thanks for sharing. Some of us can only dream of rubbing elbows withthe people you have. You're very lucky, if you need someone to go with you next time let me know!!! :)

Pat said...

A gal I know took a class with Lucy and she also had them put the flannel up on the wall so she could easily help them with their designs. I'm glad you are having such a terrific time and have already decided to go back next year!!! (I'm also glad you are leaving time for shopping...a VERY important part of any quilt-show trip....hehehe)

Pat said...

OOPS....I meant to say LIZA and not LUCY. Her name always gets me confused!!!

Seams Sew Together said...

How lucky you are to have met Kaffe, I think your quilt looks beautiful I love the colours.
Mandy

Barb said...

What fun!!!! The design walls are awesome!!

Dee said...

Can I have your autograph! What a cool day! I'm so impressed and inspired by all the design walls I want to go and buy all new fabric!

Have a safe flight home and thank you so much for sharing your trip with us!

julieQ said...

So glad you got to meet him! Your quilt looks wonderful,and you will teasure it for the memories of the class for a long time.

Terriaw said...

What a thrill to meet Kaffe and to be able to take a class from him! I love hearing how interactive and helpful he was with providing you suggestion on your design wall. I would love to try this snowball quilt, so your version is a wonderful inspiration! I love the fabric you used for the corners - such a nice way to tie the design together.

dobco said...

Sounds like a great time. I love going and learning like that. Your colors are beautiful. Can't wait to see it when you are all finished.

sewmeow said...

What a great time. Love your quilt.

Cathy said...

Wow, wow, wow, what a fabulous experience (wish I was there too!). Your snowball quilt is fabulous, I love that dot diamond and the large florally snowballs, stunning xo

Chris said...

I love your snowball quilt and am green with envy - what a fantastic experience!

Kim D. said...

Looks like you had an awesome day meeting Kaffe and putting your quilt together. Love your quilt, gorgeous!!

Elizabeth said...

Glad to hear you had such a good time.

Loris said...

Looks like great fun!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails